Mr Neo Eng Chong, CEO, Makino Asia Pte Ltd,
Mr Miyazaki Shotaro, President, Makino Milling Machine Company Limited,
Ladies and Gentlemen,
1. A very good morning to all.
2. I would first like to congratulate Makino Asia on its Golden Jubilee.
3. Thank you for inviting me to share this momentous achievement with you, celebrating half a century of precision, excellence, and innovation.
4. Makino has truly machined its way to success.
5. Makino was amongst the wave of Japanese investments during the early days of Singapore’s industrialisation – it established itself in 1973 as LeBlond Asia Pte Ltd, before fully acquiring and renaming LeBlond Asia as Makino Asia.
6. Since then, the company has been committed to innovation and talent development, playing a critical role in realising Singapore's vision to become a global hub for advanced manufacturing.
a. In the last 10 years alone, Makino Asia has invested more than S$320 million in capital investment locally.
b. Today, Makino Asia employs over 500 people in Singapore across various functions including research & development, applications engineering, manufacturing, and post-sales support.
Precision Engineering is a key pillar of Singapore’s manufacturing sector
7. Makino Asia is one of many valued players in Singapore’s manufacturing sector, and more specifically, our Precision Engineering, or PE, industry.
8. Manufacturing has been and will continue to be a key driver of the Singapore economy and PE is a key pillar of the sector.
9. PE contributes over 10% of our manufacturing VA, and serves as a core enabler to many other industry clusters such as Semiconductors and Medtech, by supplying them precision components that require complex manufacturing processes.
10. With the refreshed PE Industry Transformation Map launched last year, the PE industry will capitalise on new digital manufacturing technologies and platforms to deliver competitive products and services for local and global markets.
a. This transition is expected to introduce a wide range of good jobs, spanning roles in research & development, design, materials, and software engineering.
Throughout the years, Makino Asia has contributed significantly to Singapore’s manufacturing sector
11. Given its relentless efforts to constantly innovate and grow, Makino Asia is at the forefront of this transition.
a. In 2019, the company established an Advanced Machining Factory alongside an Internet of Things (IoT) Centre in Singapore.
b. Both facilities are designed for the development of products and services that leverage state-of-the-art technologies.
12. And more exciting developments are in the works.
13. Makino Asia just launched its new metal-based Additive Manufacturing (AM) solution business in Singapore this year, featuring advanced metrology and relevant qualification services.
14. This will be an end-to-end solution business that will support the strategic needs of other manufacturing industries in Singapore and the region, and help anchor Makino Asia’s leadership position in the field.
The Singapore Government values the longstanding partnership with Makino Asia
15. I am happy to note that Makino Asia has been collaborating closely with Government agencies and other stakeholders to drive manpower training and talent development in the industry.
a. For instance, Makino Asia’s close partnership with the Singapore Manufacturing Federation (SMF) and Singapore Precision Engineering & Technology Association (SPETA) has contributed to the success of the Precision Engineering Master Craftsmen course at Nanyang Polytechnic.
b. Started in 2013, the Master Craftsmen certification is now a well-recognised industry certification scheme that aims to elevate the standard of precision engineering craftsmanship across Singapore.
c. The company also leverages our Institutes of Higher Learning to ensure its staff continue to be equipped with automation skills that enhance work efficiency.
d. In 2019, it worked with Temasek Polytechnic to co-develop a customised course that trained more than 500 of its employees on Industry 4.0 and new digital manufacturing solutions.
16. The Government values the company’s constant drive for innovation and growth and will continue to support companies like Makino Asia, as we develop and grow our manufacturing sector.
17. We look forward to deepening our partnership, and I wish you every success for the future.
18. Thank you.