Mr Pang Lim, Chairman, Koufu
Mr Ryo Kimura, Managing Director, Japan Rice and Rice Industry Export Promotion Association
Ladies and Gentlemen,
1. A very good afternoon to everyone.
2. I am delighted to join you here today to mark a very exciting collaboration between Koufu and the Japan Rice and Rice Industry Export Promotion Association (JRE).
3. This collaboration combines the best of both Singaporean and Japanese cultures and reimagines our local hawker fare with Japanese rice and rice products. Singapore has a rich culinary heritage with a diverse and eclectic spread of quality food options.
4. Two years ago, our hawker culture was inscribed on the UNESCO Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity. Japan is of course a well-known food paradise and one of the top travel destinations for Singaporeans. It is a great idea to meld Japanese food and culture and our local hawker cuisine, both of which are close to Singaporeans’ hearts and bellies.
5. It’s often said that eating is our national pastime. Singaporeans are adventurous foodies and are always welcoming of fresh culinary trends and discoveries. Our vibrant hawker culture forms an integral part of our Singaporean way of life. It has the power to bring people from all walks of life together. We love tucking into classic favourites, to tasting new interpretations of hawker fare. Collaborations like today’s between Koufu and JRE put an innovative spin on our well-loved hawker classics and breathe new life into our culinary offerings.
6. Earlier this year, we launched the Food Services Industry Transformation Map (ITM) 2025. One of the aims of the refreshed ITM is to spark innovation among F&B companies and encourage the industry to capture new growth opportunities. Innovation is one of the key pillars underpinning the growth and development of our food services sector. The Government is committed to supporting partnerships such as today’s which encourage innovation and bring a rich diversity to our F&B offerings.
7. I am glad that Koufu, as one of our leading local food companies, is partnering with other players in the food services ecosystem to whet appetites and create new flavours and spur growth in the food industry. I look forward to Koufu and other leading food companies rejuvenating our food services sector as they continue to transform and innovate.
8. Food has incredible power to bring and keep people together. Just as Singaporeans enjoy Japanese food and welcome the use of Japanese rice and rice products in our local cuisine, I hope that we can also bring Singapore food and cuisine to the Japanese people. Together, we can enhance our friendship and close ties with Japan.
9. Congratulations on this very exciting collaboration. I wish Koufu and JRE a very successful partnership.
10. Thank you.