Mayor Hu Henghua (胡衡华),
Liangjiang Party Secretary Zhang Hongxing (张鸿星),
PIL Executive Chairman, Mr Teo Siong Seng,
Distinguished Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen,
1. Good morning. It is my great pleasure to join you today to witness the launch of the China-Singapore (Chongqing) Multi-Modal Distribution and Connectivity Centre, or DC Centre in short.
A Key Demonstration Project for the CCI
2. The DC Centre is a key project under the China-Singapore (Chongqing) Connectivity Initiative’s transport & logistics priority area. I recall joining Minister Chan Chun Sing in Chongqing in 2017 to mark the inauguration of our two joint venture companies, the Sino-Singapore (Chongqing) Connectivity Solutions Company Limited and Sino-Singapore (Chongqing) DC Multimodal Logistics Company Limited, or S1 and S2 respectively. Two years later, I participated in the ground-breaking ceremony of the DC Centre with Minister Chan.
3. Today, with the launch of the DC Centre, I am delighted to join our Chongqing friends virtually to witness another significant milestone for the CCI. This would not be possible without the strong support of the Chongqing Government, as well as the dedication of the management and staff of S1 and S2.
Opportunities for Collaboration
4. The launch also marks another step in the continued development of Singapore’s and Chongqing’s roles as the mutual hubs of our respective regions. With this new facility in place, there will be greater opportunities for collaboration between Singapore, Chongqing, and other international partners in the following areas.
5. First, in uplifting the transport and logistics ecosystem of both sides. The DC Centre will complement existing and upcoming facilities, such as the Guoyuan Port and Yuzui Terminal South Yard, to help integrate Chongqing’s major road, rail, and river logistics nodes, providing logistics players with a seamless experience. To increase the talent pool of Chongqing’s logistics industry, a training and placement programme will be established between S1 and the Chongqing Finance and Economics College, with specialised training to be conducted at the DC Centre itself.
6. Second, in strengthening supply chain resilience. Amidst global concerns over supply chains disruption, the CCI-New International Land-Sea Trade Corridor can demonstrate its value in connecting land and sea routes to maintain the flow of essential goods, especially perishable and time-sensitive products. To that end, I encourage all interested stakeholders to come on board the Corridor by making use of key nodes such as the DC Centre, and enhance the connectivity and trade flows between our regions.
7. Third, in accelerating trade digitalisation. In line with the growing importance of the digital economy, Singapore and Chongqing are promoting the exchange of digital data and documents to enhance supply chain visibility and facilitate the seamless cross-border movement of cargo. We welcome more companies, including those from adjacent sectors such as trade financing, to join us in these endeavours.
8. Later, we will also be witnessing the signing of close to 30 MOUs between S1, S2, and their partners, covering all the above areas and more. We are off to a good start and should build on the momentum to create even more opportunities in the future.
9. The past two years had been very challenging. But today’s event shows the resilience of our companies in overcoming challenges and seizing new opportunities. Building on strong commercial interest and supportive policies, I am confident that the CCI will continue to serve as a key demonstration project between Singapore and China.
10. Once again, I would like to offer my heartiest congratulations to all stakeholders on launch of the DC Centre. Let me conclude with a few words in Chinese – 中新（重庆）多式联运示范基地今天正式启动了！它的成立展现了新加坡与重庆在交通物流领域的重大成果。我期待基地发挥好它的示范效应，为新中两国的合作带来更多的机遇。让我们一起携手，确保“中新互联互通，货物通畅无阻”。谢谢！