Mr Koh Chiap Khiong, CEO (Singapore & Southeast Asia), Sembcorp Industries
Ladies and gentlemen,
1. A very good morning to all of you. I am delighted to be here today at Tuas Bay Lane for the opening of the Sembcorp Tuas Solar Farm.
2. Solar energy is one of Singapore’s most viable sources of renewable energy. While our city state is fortunate to receive plenty of sunshine, our tropical climate means that our skies are often overcast. Because of our limited land space, we have to be innovative in the way we harness solar energy.
3. The Government has taken the lead in accelerating the deployment of rooftop solar energy solutions. We are constantly exploring new and innovative ways to install solar panels in the limited spaces available to us. This includes tapping on vacant land as well as open water bodies. One successful example is the Sembcorp Tengeh Floating Solar Farm at Tengeh Reservoir.
Solarising our industrial estates
4. Our industrial estates present good opportunities to harness solar energy. As Singapore’s leading industrial developer with 14,000 businesses in its estates, JTC plays a key role in encouraging and partnering our business community to generate renewable solar energy and operate more sustainably. The SolarRoof and SolarLand programmes optimise spaces on rooftops and vacant industrial land across JTC’s estates for solar power. These solar programmes support our aims of achieving solar panel deployment target of at least 1.5 gigawatt-peak (GWp) by 2025 and 2 gigawatt-peak (GWp) by 2030. Without upfront capital costs, solar adoption is now easier and more accessible for businesses. Lessees can also tap on renewable energy from JTC’s SolarLand to meet their renewable energy targets. In addition, these panels generate solar power that is subsequently exported to the national grid – supporting our transition towards a greener energy mix.
5. Sembcorp’s Tuas Solar Farm is part of ‘Phase Three’ of JTC’s SolarLand programme which will maximise 70 hectares of temporary vacant industrial land across Singapore for solar power generation. Covering almost 10 hectares, Tuas Solar Farm has the capacity to generate enough energy to power about 4,700 four-room HDB flats a year. Like other systems under the SolarLand programme, its solar installations are modular, flexible, and can be easily redeployed when the land is needed for other uses. This solar farm is the first in Singapore to integrate a rainwater harvesting system. Such innovations not only help boost efficiency and yield, they ensure that the space is well-used all the time – rain or shine.
6. On behalf of MTI, JTC and our economic agencies, I would like to commend Sembcorp Industries for investing in innovative solutions like the Solar Farm which boosts the key sustainability pillars of solar energy and water recycling. Thank you for contributing to Singapore’s greener future.
Contributing towards sustainability goals under Singapore Green Plan 2030
7. The SolarLand programme complements Singapore’s ‘energy reset’ initiatives and goals as part of our Green Plan 2030. Once completed by end-2023, the SolarLand programme will boast the largest aggregated mobile solar systems designed and installed in Singapore. Together, JTC’s SolarLand and SolarRoof sites are expected to generate an estimated 82 megawatt-peak (MWp) of solar energy capacity over the next two years – enough to power about 20,000 4-room HDB flats a year.
8. The Government will press forward to promote the adoption of solar energy systems and work with industry players like Sembcorp to meet our solar targets. Apart from rainwater harvesting, JTC is exploring ways to optimise the spaces under solar panels, such as for farming use. It is also looking to solarise more spaces, including the top of linkways. To this end, JTC continues to pursue and explore new innovations, working with multiple vendors and partners to testbed and trial solutions for future deployment.
9. I would like to extend my congratulations to JTC and Sembcorp Industries for reaching this major milestone. By pushing the boundaries of innovation and technology, you play an important part in Singapore’s Energy Story. Together, we are building a more sustainable Singapore.
10. Thank you.