Mr Shekhar Mehta, President of Rotary International
Dr Surgeon Liu Chi-Tien, Singapore Rotary Institute Convenor and Director of Rotary International
Mr Chew Ghim Bok, Singapore Rotary Institute Chair and Past District Governor
Ladies and Gentlemen
1. Good evening to all of you, and a warm welcome to the 2021 Singapore Rotary Institute.
2. The past 20 months have been challenging for all of us. Countries around the world have been hit hard by the pandemic, including Singapore. However, with high vaccination rates and effective testing mechanisms, we are now in a better position to resume more economic and social activities.
3. We are also re-establishing our connectivity with the rest of the world. Since September, Singapore has established vaccinated travel lanes (VTLs) with several countries. This has allowed us to strengthen our position as a hub for business and travel.
4. Nevertheless, these are unprecedented times. Across societies, COVID-19 has hit the most vulnerable segments the hardest, and exacerbated inequality. I am glad to see Rotary members around the world stepping forward to help the disadvantaged deal with COVID, whether by distributing vaccines, or developing new treatments for COVID patients. Beyond COVID, Rotary members continue to create lasting change, and better our world.
5. I am confident that the next few days will provide opportunities for all of you to build new connections, fortify old ones, and exchange ideas on how to increase the impact of your work. I wish all of you a fruitful event, and look forward to welcoming you to Singapore when we host the 2024 Singapore Rotary Convention.
6. Thank you.