Professor Keat Ong
Members of the Society of Interior Designers
1. Thank you for inviting me to the launch of two exciting new programmes under the Singapore Interior Design Accreditation Scheme.
2. The Mentorship and Continuous Professional Development (CPD) programmes being rolled out today will enable interior designers to enhance their skills, deepen their expertise and advance in their field and career.
3. Allow me to highlight the role and importance of CPD and mentorship in the interior design profession.
Accreditation Opens New Doors
4. Some of you were here with me last November when we launched the Singapore Interior Design Accreditation Programme.
a. At that time, I spoke about how accreditation will benefit interior designers, fresh graduates, and clients alike.
5. Professional accreditation opens new doors to fresh opportunities. Besides gaining professional competencies, the accreditation allows you to join the respected ranks of experts and be a part of the community of qualified interior designers.
a. In the half a year since its launch, I understand that about 200 interior designers have been accredited. This is excellent progress.
b. I am also delighted that the Interior Design Accreditation Council has boosted the merits and benefits of obtaining professional accreditation in ID by introducing programmes for mentorship and continual professional development (CPD).
Mentorship Widens Windows of Perspectives
6. In many ways, the new Singapore Interior Design Accreditation Scheme Mentorship Programme being launched today will widen the windows of perspectives of ID professionals and the ID community.
7. Pairing new graduates and junior interior designers with experienced peers brings benefits to both sides.
a. Young and new interior designers entering the field will gain valuable insights from experienced mentors. They also have the chance to better understand interior design practices, form professional connections and gain a head start in their careers.
b. Mentors, on the other hand, will benefit from the fresh viewpoints of their mentees, whose ideas and ideals bring new energy and possibilities to the ID community.
8. While there is presently some form of informal mentorship among interior designers, the move by the Society of Interior Designers to institutionalise mentorship as a programme reflects the organisation’s aim to ensure its continuity as an important feature in the journey of an accredited ID.
Making Space for Continuous Development
9. The Singapore Interior Design Accreditation Scheme Continuous Professional Development Programme, or CPD for short, will enable our interior design professionals to continually upgrade their professional competencies with up-to-date relevant skills.
a. They can take advantage of the CPD to sharpen their expertise and stay ahead of new developments.
b. I am glad to know that the Society of Interior Designers will be collaborating with our Institutes of Higher Learning, as well as industry partners to develop professional development courses for its members.
10. Upcoming courses, such as the one on micro-perforation and the combination of acoustics & aesthetics, is an example of how the CPD programme equips interior designers with the latest knowledge of interesting and important trends.
11. I hope that as accredited interior designers, you will always make space for professional continual development.
12. On our part, DesignSingapore Council and Enterprise Singapore will continue working with the Society of Interior Designers to enhance support for the professional development and competencies of interior designers, and to further the prospects of this creative and dynamic community.
13. We look forward to the growth of our Singapore interior designers as the Society of Interior Designers continues to elevate the profession. With the launch of the CPD and mentorship programme, I am confident that our ID practitioners here would have many windows of opportunities as you continue to hone your expertise and increasingly gain a global footing with leading influential and inspiring design. I trust you will fly our Singapore flag high!
14. I wish you all the best in your endeavours. Happy National Day in advance! Thank you.