Ladies and gentlemen
1. It gives me great pleasure to join you and to extend a warm welcome to all of you to Medical Fair Asia 2020, which is being held virtually for the first time.
2. This year continues to be an extraordinary year, and the fact that we are meeting here today, virtually, reflects the continuously evolving complex world that we live in.
Changing healthcare landscape
3. This pandemic has fundamentally changed the face of healthcare provision across the entire world.
4. It has accelerated the uptake of digital health products and services, and shone the spotlight on the importance of diversifying our sourcing channels and technological innovation to minimise and mitigate any disruption to our critical medical sector.
5. As a biomedical hub which is home to more than 60 multinational biomedical companies and over 330 homegrown biomedical companies, Singapore is keenly aware of the importance of innovation, research and developments.
6. Over the last 5 years, we have invested S$4 billion in developing our health and biomedical sciences sector.
7. These investments have allowed us to differentiate ourselves by developing a vibrant ecosystem, dedicated in the pursuit and translation of research into knowledge, products or services that improve on existing healthcare solutions, medicines and medical devices.
8. I am also very happy to see that many pharmaceutical and medical companies in Singapore have gone beyond the boundaries of their markets and verticals, to better support public healthcare needs during this very trying period.
9. And many of them are here with us today as exhibitors and visitors at Medical Fair Asia.
10. As a platform which not only facilitates, but also grows connections and thought-leadership in this industry, the staging of Medical Fair Asia today is both timely and highly relevant.
11. Today’s event is another good example of how Singapore has worked with like-minded parties to pioneer how virtual MICE events could be successfully and safely held in response to our challenging and changing environment.
12. I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Messe Düsseldorf Asia for its innovation and adaptability in creating this digital edition of Medical Fair Asia.
13. The road to recovery from COVID-19 is a going to be a long one and it will lead to fundamental, long-term changes to the industry.
14. On our end, we will continue to invest in our local R&D capabilities, and develop the health and biomedical sciences ecosystem, as we continue to welcome businesses to invest in and expand their operations in Singapore, and to tap on Singapore as a base for their regional operations as well.
15. As for businesses, I’m glad to see events like Medical Fair Asia re-imagining their events to remain relevant and competitive as customers’ needs evolve.
16. I am sure there will be many new meaningful connections forged and creative collaborations develop over the 10 days of this virtual event, and I encourage everyone to explore the many innovative products and solutions on display.
17. I wish all of you a fruitful and productive time at Medical Fair Asia 2020, and I certainly look forward to meeting all of you in person, in Singapore soon.
18. Thank you once again and all the very best.