Bees Work Casting Pte Ltd
Diva Models (S) Pte Ltd
Impact Models Studio
Looque Models Singapore Pte Ltd
Notice of Appeal received on 20 January 2012
Summary of CCS Decision that Appeal Relates:
1. On 23 November 2011, the Competition Commission of Singapore (the “CCS”) decided that 11 modelling agencies in Singapore, including the Appellants (the “AMIP agencies”), and their association, the AMIP, had engaged in price-fixing of the rates of modelling services in contravention of Section 34 of the Competition Act.
2. The CCS’ investigations revealed that one of the AMIP’s main objectives was to collectively raise the rates for modelling services charged by the AMIP agencies. The AMIP had been established in early 2005, and the AMIP agencies continued to meet, discuss and agree upon the prices for modelling services until the CCS conducted inspections in July 2009.
3. The CCS concluded that the AMIP agencies had engaged in price-fixing on a wide variety of modelling services, including editorials, advertorials, fashion shows and media loading usage. Customers of the AMIP who were affected included publishers, photographers, show choreographers, show organisers and fashion labels.
4. Pursuant to Section 69(2)(d) of the Competition Act, the CCS has imposed the following penalties on the Appellants:
S/No. Party Period of infringement Penalty
1) Bees Work 1 Jan 06 to 17 Jul 09 S$44,112
2) Diva 1 Jan 06 to 17 Jul 09 S$72,891
3) Impact 1 Jan 06 to 17 Jul 09 S$10,508
4) Looque 1 Jan 06 to 17 Jul 09 S$31,241
The full text of the Infringement Decision may be found at the following URL: http://app.ccs.gov.sg/cms/user_documents/main/pdf/ID_AMIP%20%2823%20Nov%2011%29.pdf
Relief Sought by Appellant
1. Reduction in Financial Penalties.
2. Order for the CCS to pay the Appellants’ costs of the appeal.