Business Owner: Jeffrey Tan
“To young aspiring entrepreneurs, I would like to tell you this – Entrepreneurship can feel like a lonely road at first, but don’t give up. Take calculated risks, and never fail to plan. Last but not least, always be thankful for the ones who have supported your dreams along the way.” – Jeffrey Tan
FISHING FOR SUCCESS
Having grown up around fish all his life, it was only natural that Jeffrey would want to get into something fishy! He watched his late father run a fish wholesale business and his elder brother set up his own fishmongering business. Jeffrey, however, sought to start his fish trade inspired by clean, sleek markets he saw overseas. He was compelled to change the misconception of wet markets being dirty and unhygienic and also wanted Singaporeans to enjoy good home-cooked food made with fresh fish through DishTheFish. Jeffrey even set up an online ordering system and made recipes easily accessible on his website.
READY FOR TOMORROW’S CHALLENGES
To cater to a new technology-savvy generation of consumers, Jeffrey decided to bring his fish business onto the e-commerce platform by adopting a cloud system. DishTheFish also utilises a unified digital system to support its traditional business model through a point-of-sale system, an accounting and online bookkeeping software and a human resource management software that is intertwined and makes it easier to track costs and revenue.
KEEPING UP WITH DIGITALISATION
DishTheFish makes use of smart technology to help understand customers’ preferences and make suitable recommendations. To reach out to the younger generation, the company got onto social media and have been churning out educational and engaging content about fish preparation. Additionally, with the help of the Innovation and Capability Voucher (ICV) Scheme from SPRING, they have been able to use technology to streamline backend operating systems, so they can focus on sourcing the freshest products and delivering the best customer service.
THEIR FUTURE ECONOMY STORY
- DishTheFish set up its own online ordering system to cater to busy working adults who are also more tech-savvy
- The company established a seamless, unified digital system to track revenue, expenses as well as HR matters
- The digital system also gives the company the advantage of observing which types of products are in demand, allowing them to plan better ahead
- By tapping on technology, the company depends on accounting software to keep itself update on payments and receivables and doesn’t need to hire an accountant
- Through integrating administrative and HR software, the company’s owners spend less time on admin matters and are able to focus on business operations instead
- DishTheFish is taking small steps towards business expansion by opening a second outlet in a shopping centre.
- The company is also expanding into the wholesale space to compete in the bigger market
GETTING AHEAD WITH GRANTS & SCHEMES:
- The Innovation & Capability Voucher (ICV) scheme by SPRING enabled DishTheFish to use technology to streamline backend operating systems and defray the cost of enhancing its systems